A plan of subdivision or condominium is an application process that creates multiple lots or blocks from an existing property. A registered plan will outline how the lots or blocks can be developed.

Getting started

Before submitting an application, you must meet with us to discuss the proposal, the application process, required fees, and the studies needed to support the application for Plan of Subdivision or Condominium.  To set up this meeting please fill out the Pre-Consultation Request Form and submit it to the Planning department by emailing it to planning@ptbocounty.ca or as indicated on the last page of the form. 

After the meeting, the Planning department will send you a meeting summary and list of studies that is needed to deem the application for Plan of Subdivision/Condominium complete.  It is mandatory that all applications, plans, supporting studies, agreements and fees be submitted together and may include:



I want to find out more about a subdivision/condominium application that is being processed by the County.

No problem!  If you know the file number, or the location of the application (address or lot and concession), contact the Planning department by calling 705-743-0380 or emailing planning@ptbocounty.ca to inquire.

Information about more recent applications can be found online under our Planning Notices.  Many of the Notices have the draft plans, supporting studies and sketches attached for public review. 

 Are there different types of condominiums?

Absolutely.  When people hear that a condominium is proposed, they most often think of a standard condominium that looks like a high-rise apartment building.  In the County of Peterborough, however, the most common type of condominium application we see is called a vacant land condominium.  Once these types of condos are built, they look identical to a plan of subdivision with individual lots (refered to as 'units') each having a house built on it.

At this point in time, even if a standard (apartment building-style) condominium is proposed, chances are that the building will not be a high-rise.  The County only has four municipally serviced settlement areas, and the infrastructure and emergency services needed to support this size of building in these areas are not currently available.


To learn more about condominium development, the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing has provided the following:

 What is the cost of a plan of subdivision/condominium?
The cost of these development applications can vary. In addition to the application fee, other costs may include supporting studies, peer review agreement and deposit, public agency review, surveying, legal agreements, related applications for Official Plan Amendment and/or Zoning By-Law Amendment, and other supporting materials.
How long does the subdivision/condominium process take?
The Planning Act gives us 180 days to process and make a decision on applications for plans of subdivision and condominium. However, we often find that this is not enough time, especially where the plan is on private services (well and septic) and peer review is involved. Other factors that can affect the length of time in process include the complexity of the proposal, the number of public agencies involved, the number of studies that need to be peer reviewed, and timing of Council meetings.
 What is a peer review?

In some cases, the Planning department does not have the expertise on staff to review supporting studies. For example, the County does not employ a hydrogeologist to review hydrogeological studies. In these situations, the Planning department uses an external expert to review the study to ensure it meets any applicable regulations, and that appropriate testing or modelling is completed. The job of our peer reviewer is to look out for the interests of the public and the County.

The applicant pays for peer review costs through our Peer Review and Planning Reimbursement Agreement.