Commissioner of Oath Services

Please call our office at (705)743-0380 ext. 0 to set up an appointment for commissioning services.

A Commissioner of Oaths, also known as a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits, is different from a Notary Public. A Notary Public has much broader authority. If your document requires the signature of a Notary Public, or if you require certified copies of documents, then you will need to contact a lawyer or a Notary.

The person signing the affidavit must appear before the Commissioner and must show proof of identity via Government issued photo identification such as a drivers license or passport.

To Commission a document(s), the Commissioner must see the piece of ID (or multiple pieces) that shows:

  • Proof of Date of Birth
  • Photo
  • Signature

Please do not sign your document in advance. Signing of documents must be in the presence of the Commissioner of Oaths.

There is no guarantee that a document can be commissioned until the Commissioner sees it.

The fee is $25(+ tax) per document. Payment can be made by cash, debit or credit card.

Please note that Peterborough County does not remotely commission documents. All documents must be commissioned in person.

Documents Peterborough County will commission (including but not limited to):

  • Municipally generated documents, i.e., Planning Applications
  • Domestic and Foreign Pension document also known as Proof of Life
  • Canadian Citizenship forms
  • Delayed Statement of Live Birth
  • Adult Name Change/Sex Change documents and application
  • Child Name Change - Only Service of Ontario Form 
  • Vehicle transfer of ownership to a family member
  • Child Travel Consent
  • Invitation letters for a visitor's VISA
  • Immunization exemption document
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification/Lost Passport
  • Statutory Declaration for OSAP – Statement of Common Law Status/Supporting Children
  • Amendment to Birth/ Death/ Marriage Certificate forms
  • Affidavit of Proof of Loss of Motor Vehicle/boat (from an insurance company)
  • Affidavit of Proof of Residency
  • Travel Industry Council of Ontario - Affidavit of Customer Claimant

Documents Peterborough County cannot commission:

  • Wills, Living Wills, Codicils to Wills or Estate Settlement documents
  • Power of Attorney
  • Divorce, separation, marriage, or cohabitation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Documents related to Finance (Debt, Banking information, RRSP etc.)
  • Real Estate documents including Land Transfer
  • Court, Legal or Civil issue related documents
  • Declaration or Claimant and Indemnity
  • Statutory Declaration of Progress Payment Distribution – Holdback Security Deposits
  • Statement of Arrears
  • Certified True Copies
  • Declaration of a Translator
  • Age of Majority or BYID Card Application
  • Documents requiring the signature of a Notary Public, Canadian and Foreign
  • The Commissioner cannot witness documents where there is a requirement to personally know the person for a certain length of time, i.e., Passport Guarantor.

Helpful Links: Find a notary public or commissioner of oaths for taking affidavits |